9/30/2007

[ some thoughts! ]

My discipler (kind of like a spiritual mentor) Kelly this summer shared with me aspects of her life that she referred to as "vintage Kelly" -- the sort of character-fabric that is so specific to all of us as we gain awareness of our identity as daughters and sons of a living, active God.

Anyway, as I wrestle with intentionally recalling and claiming my position in Christ, I'm beginning to gain some clarity on what really makes me "pound the table" -- not in frustration -- but with conviction and with hope for responding to what makes my heart beat faster and my eyes light up.

1 Corinthians 15:10 is a verse that has urged me toward the love and grace of God in big ways lately. Paul's heart:
"But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me."
I've felt some freedom lately to embrace "vintage Jessie" -- the girl who drinks too much coffee, wants to go all-out, receives lots of life from friends and one who wants to change, innovate and communicate.

Anyway, as I read Paul's short-but-sweet words, I am struck by a few things:
  • By the GRACE of God, we are who we are! Knowing our place before God involves claiming no sufficiency of our own (check out 2 Cor. 3) but responding to the reality of Jesus' death and resurrection.
  • His grace for US is not in VAIN. We cannot be content with thoughts of God's grace for us being empty or low-quality; grace is full and active, moving us forward in faith in light of God's gift for us in Jesus.
  • "I worked harder than any of them..." Why? Because insufficiency of Paul's flesh wouldn't cut it. Only the GRACE of God in him would suffice! The rich love of Christ sets us not only free FROM sin, but free TO move with trust in the Holy Spirit's activity in our lives. God's Spirit in us has the power to free us to love and serve God with all of ourselves, expecting to see others drawn near to the good news of Jesus, because He is a reality in our own lives. Oh my, I want to trust in this.
Much LOVE.

Jessie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home