9/02/2007

[ purpose ]

Here's a few things I've been processing through lately, with close friends here and a handsome young man in Columbus... ;)
  • It seems like when the Lord brings us to some sort of new understanding -- of the Word, of His work in the world or straight-up inspiration from the Holy Spirit, there tends to be some weight. In the past few weeks I've been beginning to think about what this really looks like in the life of a believer -- to not just seek the Lord in order to be "filled up," but to take seriously our position in Christ and the urgency of reaching those around us for His sake.
  • As we take time to read, study and pray through the Word, we should be expectant of a few things, I think. We should anticipate thoughts centered on God's glory. We should expect to be more aware of Jesus and His presence. We should wait expectantly for God to build in us confidence in the power of the gospel for the world. And as we grow in God-initiated confidence, we should look forward to rejoicing in proclaiming His good news.
  • I am grateful for the truth that often the desires of my heart align with God's will, but I don't want to get caught up in holding those desires and passions too high. Instead, I want to be found faithful in desiring Him first without an agenda of my heart being full to the brim. This area of my walk with the Lord is tough -- too often when I wake up in the mornings my shallow desires come first, even after really sensing God teaching and refining me the previous evening. I can only pray that this will sink more deeply into my walk. When I become too focused on my desires -- even desires of the heart -- I lose sight of the gospel-message in its totality: not just for full hearts, but for redemption. God-accomplished salvation -- for all nations. The message of gospel should send chills up my spine in that sense.
  • In making any decision -- near or distant -- the only real option right now is to pray. And to pray hard. And when I think I have prayed enough, to get on my knees and pray some more. This truth seems pretty special to me right now.
  • A few random thoughts, too: I think I have a green thumb. I like watching movies with Joe because he's really good at picking them out and explaining cool stuff to me afterwards. I've been staying up way too late -- it's the one time here in the hall that's so quiet, though. In my lifetime I really pray that God will use me in communicating the Word, His kingdom-work and even some practical life-stuff in creative, relevant and tangible ways that will urge people toward Him. I wish I could articulate more of what I mean by that, but I think -- hope! -- that will be shown with more opportunities to write, speak, study and equip others.
His grace for you is not in vain. (1 Co. 15:10)

Jessie :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home