11/25/2006

[ the battle of the...holidays? ]

I don't make bold statements everyday, but today I made one. (Really, it wasn't too bold.)

I mean, this statement doesn't have a huge impact on multiple spheres of life or anything, but when I said it, I meant it.

"Say it like you mean it." Well, okay.

Sara (best friend from home who is a junior at Notre Dame; loves ND football) and I were shopping at Target tonight. Today, of course, was the day after Thanksgiving (which, maybe, should start being capitalized, and marked on calendars -- The Day After Thanksgiving; another official holiday!). The store wasn't too busy, but the music was a-playin' and the decor was a-hangin' -- and man, customers' carts were full -- to-the-brim -- with stuff. Lots and lots and lots of stuff.

"Thanksgiving is about ten times better than Christmas."

"Um...yeah. It's kind of overshadowed by all of...this."

Here's the thing: Christmas is a beautiful holiday: of humble beginnings and big praises, of God's glory revealed through His Son -- of giving and family and love. Good stuff, really.

I just am at a point -- maybe just today, I don't know -- where this good stuff being replaced with all this other stuff is just getting old. Used-up. Tired out.

To be honest, I was one of those people today. A lot of us were. I shopped for four hours total, probably, and it was enjoyable -- Sara and I really, really had fun.

But beyond that...there's just something more to this Day After Thanksgiving stuff. Today a mother and her daughter were checking out arms-full of jewelry and coats and kids' clothes, and the cashier at JCPenney gave them their total. They looked at each other, and the mother confidently presented their 15%-off coupon to her.

The cashier, looking pretty wiped-out (probably from a 4 a.m. wake-up call), handed the coupon back to the mother, saying, "I'm sorry. This doesn't apply until after 4 p.m. today." (It was 3 p.m. or so.)

The mother and her daughter looked at each other again, shaking their heads with this sort of anxious disbelief. One of them -- I forget who -- said, "This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard."

You know, I've heard people say that kind of thing before -- we all have. I heard it a hundred times this summer while I was serving. And you know, it hurts -- it hurts because there seems to be this instant loss of any type of perspective, or of mutual respect -- or of even treating another with any type of dignity. It hurts because really, words are powerful, and cheap jewelry and additions to already-jammed closets are unworthy of any of that.

There was a part of me that wanted to turn to the women and call them out, but I didn't. Instead, it makes good thinking and blogging material.

But really...what kind of impact is stuff having upon our lives? Is it adding to the noise that's already invading our days?

I like stuff, but I want to be committed to greater things, like learning to really love people and serve God. In my life, stuff is getting in the way of the good stuff that really matters.

I can't even remember what I received two Christmases ago, or even most of the gifts from last Christmas. I don't have a super-detailed memory, but I think this is pretty common -- and definitely telling.

I want to start making simplicity a reality -- because it can be. It just seems like it makes the most sense, especially as we're seeking out a radically-different God -- who, through His Spirit, begins to mold and change, well...about everything in our lives. Including our spending habits during the holidays.

Here's a few causes to think about giving to during the holidays. Consider telling your loved ones that you'd like them to give to one of these organizations -- or another local charity of your choice -- instead of the usual piles of gifts for Christmas.

These are a few familiar ones for me. The Salvation Army's "Angel Tree" program is also popular; look for those at chain and discount stores. Think about local food pantries, banks and soup kitchens; consider giving to foreign missions. We are so blessed. Let's share.

World Vision

Samaritan's Purse


Habitat for Humanity

The Heifer Project


Love you all.

Jessie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home