6/02/2006

[ kant ]

This past semester I had the opportunity to take a philosophy class at Muskingum entitled Introduction to Ethics.

Honestly, as I was scheduling my spring semester classes in November or so of 2005, I probably would have described it as "a class that I have to take for my journalism major," followed by a sigh or something. But really, the class opened my eyes. It pried them open, actually.

I've always had sort of an offish attitude toward philosophy, probably because I have been intimidated by it.

(You know, philosophers: they write a few impossible-to-read books and become really popular after they die. Like starving artists or something.)

Ah. Ignorance is bliss.

Okay, in reality, I still don't know much about philosophy or philosophers or ethics. I did, however, have one simple realization: I have a lot to learn.

For example, Immanuel Kant is recognized by a few of his theories - one focusing on the idea of universal laws and another centered around this:
So act as to treat humanity, whether in thine own person or in that of any other, in every case as an end withal, never as a means only. (Fundamental Principles of the Metaphysics of Ethics)
When Dr. Lekan and our class discussed Kant, we focused in on this theory quite a bit. Right away, it intrigued me, probably because it sounds cool and important: Treat others as ends, never as means to an end.

***
A few days ago I came across a little blurb on Kant in the current issue of Christianity Today. It brought back (fond) memories of PHIL-203, and got me thinking about Kant again.

I think I need to pray about the way I approach relationships with others. Just when I think my motives in friendship are pure, an annoying pride alert! alarm makes a fine buzzing sound in my ear. Okay, not really, but you get the idea: inward-tendencies and pretenses hinder any sort of authenticity I can offer to others.

This is why my life must be drenched.

Soaked.

Overflowing with living water.

***
There is no way I can even begin to approach relationship with others without first offering up everything to God - the God who embraces me - the same the God who embraced a fallen world in flesh with not even an ounce of false motivation.

I'm not sure what Kant thought about God or Jesus or Christianity, but I do know this: his theory has big-time application value for my life.

Really, when it comes down to it, I only know of one way to put this into practice at this point in time. I must continue to seek out the One who takes me in not even as an 'end,' but as His child - worthy and empowered to be called His own.

Love you guys.

-Jessie

(I oversimplified Kant's theories quite a bit in this entry. I definitely recommend reading up on Kant's life, ideas & influence if you have a chance. Really intriguing stuff.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home