6/03/2006

[ fever pitch & life to the full ]

I watched a really good movie the other night with my friend Meredith and her mom.

Okay, so it wasn't an instant blockbuster when it was released, its 'star power' is nominal and yes, it's a chick flick, but gosh, it was funny and refreshing and, well, quotable.

I know...you're waiting in anticipation now. (Right...)

The movie is...the 2005 Drew Barrymore/Jimmy Fallon flick Fever Pitch. According to Cinema.com, Fever Pitch is:
"...a contemporary romantic comedy about a high school teacher who meets and falls in love with a successful businesswoman. Although their lives are vastly different, the relationship seems perfect until the baseball season begins and she has to compete with his first true love: the Boston Red Sox."
You're thinking, "Jessie, what does this have to do with anything you usually write about?" Okay, I'll admit it: it doesn't.

This movie did, however, make me laugh a lot. Honestly, I haven't laughed that hard in awhile. (Okay, maybe not since last Saturday evening's visit to the Warren Motel after Joel & Sharon's reception.)

I think enjoying something that much in a concentrated period of time with two people I love softened my heart a bit. (I just re-read the last sentence and it sounds incredibly cheesy, but I'm going to leave it. This is a big step.)

So, this is kind of the weird: on the way home (in the minivan; yes, I've been cruising Huron & Sandusky in our minivan this week), I was filled with such joy and love that I just cried! Not because Ben and Lindsay get together (and, shocker!, keep the Red Sox tickets) in the end of Fever Pitch (pretend like you didn't read that), but because God loves us in such a unique, heroic way -- and meets with us at (seemingly) random but utterly perfect moments.

***
I have been surprised lately at the ways in which God has provided for me. Really, though, I shouldn't be so shocked.

"Life to the full" is meaty and real and even a little scary. Each day, God brings us to new thresholds -- increased understanding of His character -- refreshed perspective of His people. And it happens amidst our "ordinary" (e.g., watching Fever Pitch -- oh, man...). Amidst our ordinary only because our God is that extraordinary. That powerfully compassionate.

Keep serving Him.

-Jessie

P.S.: This entry probably seems a little scatterbrained. It is. You see, for a half-hour or so before I wrote this entry, I read through the blog of Mark Steele, author of the Relevant-published Flashbang! book. His writing style is all over the place, and I think there is some carryover to this entry. Steele, however, can definitely get away with it. I bet he'd be a great guy to meet in person.

P.P.S.: Have a great weekend. It's June; can you believe it?! Wow.

1 Comments:

At 1:57 AM, Blogger ian said...

Great Blog,
I stummbled across it just seeing how many people share an interest in Porches.
This blog makes mine seem very shamefull and silly.
God bless.
Keep Storng to the end.
Your Brother in Christ Ian.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home