5/19/2006

Random post. There's been quite a few of these lately. :)

I was thinking about our junior/senior English teacher today (Erica, if you read this, we should definitely have a lunch date with Mrs. Warren this summer!) and was reminded of our poetry unit senior year & how cool it was to read some of the stuff we did. The journalism majors take "English" classes at Muskingum because it's an interdisciplinary major, but really, we don't have the chance to dig into the good stuff like the English majors (e.g., Joe and Alicia).

So here's a taste of good ol' George Herbert for the day. It looks really cool on paper because Herbert did sweet formatting (I'm not sure if that's the right term, but it sounded semi-accurate). For some reason, it's not allowing for line breaks in between the stanzas. I'll fix that later.

Easter Wings
Lord, Who createdst man in wealth and store,
Though foolishly he lost the same,
Decaying more and more,
Till he became
Most poore:
With Thee
O let me rise,
As larks, harmoniously,
And sing this day Thy victories:
Then shall the fall further the flight in me.

My tender age in sorrow did beginne;
And still with sicknesses and shame
Thou didst so punish sinne,
That I became
Most thinne.

With Thee
Let me combine,
And feel this day Thy victorie;
For, if I imp my wing on Thine,
Affliction shall advance the flight in me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home