5/05/2006

"O, the fullness, the pleasure,
the sheer excitement of knowing God here on earth."

-Jim Elliott

In the last two weeks or so, I've been struck by how God shows Himself to us through our setting everything aside -- our worries, our workload, even our time with loved ones.

As we fall on our knees, we're filled in the only way that is able to sustain us, and more importantly, the only approach capable of sending us forward to deal with what is our day-to-day 'reality.'

***

This school year I've found 'fellowship time' here at school to be memorable --really memorable-- and fulfilling. There's something really amazing about being friends with people who understand and support you...who love you regardless of the crap you get yourself into...who will affirm you and who will ineveitably hit you with some truth once in awhile.

Something I've been learning about lately, though, has been the absolute necessity of time with God. The phrase "spending time with God" used to annoy me, actually -- probably because I had misconceptions of what that was all about -- something related to offering up a sort of 'time sacrifice' or 'tithe' to God in hopes of 'revelation,' and probably because I wasn't really doing it.

Okay, so anyway, I am beginning to see how time spent with others in community is fully reliant on individual intimacy with God. I feel like I've heard this at least a thousand times before, but it's becoming more of a reality now, I think.

The only thing of real substance I can offer to others is a relationship with a living, transcendent God. If I'm not allowing Him to move through me, then my own relationships will run dry. And have, at one point or another.

God's funny, you know. He nudges us when we are just fine with stagnancy, quenching us with this power of His that literally pushes us -- past passivity...way past being settled or comfortable. And He uses our relationship with Him to deepen our friendships with others, learning to better love and serve them and allowing our time in community to collectively draw us closer to God.

God has so uniquely crafted you and is seeking friendship with you. Just turn around a bit -- He's there; He's been there and He will be there -- pouring out such love and mystery upon your life and mine.

But we all, with unveiled face beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord,
are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory,
just as from the Lord, the Spirit.

-2 Corinthians 3:18

Love you all.

-Jessie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home