5/19/2006

Lately I’ve been doing some major unpacking. It’s the first time in a couple years so that I’ve been home for more than a few weeks, so you can imagine the piles of junk that have accumulated.

Dad and I went out to our storage unit earlier this week to sort though some of those huge Rubbermaid containers that hold everything, including (but definitely not limited to):

-Approximately one dozen sheets of Valentine’s Day window clings. (There must have been a huge sale at some point. A bit ridiculous!)

-Relay For Life hats, bags, brochures, pens, you name it. (I write this so that you know I have a lot of Relay stuff & I am willing to give it away.)

-Random textbooks (e.g., Java something-or-another) from classes I thought I could handle (e.g., Computer Science I).

-Scrapbooks & homemade videos from middle school projects. (I write this so that you can too recall your middle school years…oh, good times.)

Really, though, I couldn’t believe how much stuff has piled up, even since I have been at Muskingum: Christmas gifts that have already collected dust -- clothes that I just don’t need – boxes and boxes full of things. Lots of things that I have forgotten about…and haven’t needed or even missed.

***
Will Walker, in his 2005 Cru Press release The Kingdom of Couches, writes that:

“Along the way, I discovered something I didn’t expect: people. I realize that people are everywhere. My life began when I came out of a person, and since then, having never resided in Montana or in outer space, I’ve been immersed in humanity. This doesn’t bother me in the least because I like people. I just never thought I would need them.”

After I bought the book and first read this passage, I think my mouth sort of just awkwardly gaped open for a few seconds because it was so strikingly true. And so simple at that.

People, all around? Of course. People, all around and an integral part of my own life? I think not.

At Muskingum there’s this sort of cheesy but fairly accurate notion of the “Muskie Hello.” Basically, it’s pretty common for those on campus to say ‘hey’ to others as they’re walking, even if they’re not familiar with the person. If you’re really fortunate, sometimes you’ll get a “Hey. How are you?” – to which you reply (no kidding – every time!), “Fine, How are you?” – to which they say, well, usually nothing, because we usually don’t take the time to stop and ask others what’s really up in their lives.

***
Photo by Jeanna Henderson
I’m beginning to learn that people – and our overwhelming need for them – can’t even begin to compare to the other things in our life – even really important and necessary things like our jobs and houses and cars.

I think I am beginning to learn this not because I have necessarily always put people before things or have really had to scrape for money in order to meet basic needs, but because recently I’ve been getting to know a few friends who have trusted God with the basic ‘things’ and have turned toward spending their energy and efforts in building relationships. Real, thriving and meaningful relationships. It’s been cool to see.

I need this. We need this. We need human interaction. In our interacting with others, we will continue experience tough love and undoubtedly some tough growth too. (I would contend that community is the 100% surefire way of experiencing tough love and growth. With one another, with God. Beautiful!)

Let’s move from ‘just close enough' to authentic intimacy.

Our communities depend on it. Our lives will wither without it.

Keep serving Him.

-Jessie

1 Comments:

At 4:18 PM, Blogger Messed Up said...

unpaking is always fun, NOT.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home